Thursday, August 27, 2009

Getting Started

The Red Queen Principle:
L. Van Valen (1973), proposed this principle based on the observation to Alice, by the Red Queen in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass , "In this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."
Not to say that I am running as fast as I can, but my first few days as a doctoral student could be compared to one being deposited in the middle of a jungle, with ample food, water, and instructions on how to use the brand new GPS (global positioning system). Eventually it will all make sense. But at first, I just wanted to look through the food rations to see how long I could wander in circles before I finished reading the instructions.
Now that everything is organized (and I use this term loosely), I can go forward with a little more direction.
Reference:Van Valen L. (1973): "A New Evolutionary Law", Evolutionary Theory 1, p. 1-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment