Monday, August 31, 2009

Fall brings new life and new discoveries

Springtime is viewed as the time of renewal for obvious reasons. Anyone having ever seen the Crocuses burst into full bloom following a long dreary winter, would surly agree that they are a true sign that the whole world is again coming to life.

As a young boy, living within hiking distance of William B. Bankhead National Forest, Springtime quickly became my favorite season. The cold nights, and short cool days of Spring made it possible for me to safely explore the natural topography before the snakes and spiders would able to come out to do the same. Memories of my childhood take me back to that time when new discoveries were only as far away as the edge of my back yard. Every adventure was a learning experience, contributing to my knowledge of nature, and to my love of the great outdoors.

Today, as Autumn quickly approaches, I find a new season of beginning. This Fall, as the leaves change from shades of green, to the enumerable shades of red, orange, yellow, and golden brown, I find that I am once again experiencing that feeling of my world coming to life. Having spent the first week of this semester trying to organize each class into it's rightful spot, I can now dedicate the second week to planting the seeds for my own personal growth.

I believe it is now safe to say that the anxiety of the first weekend of classes has given way to a feeling of eagerness to go forward.